Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day

I found this poem that I really liked. I especially resonated with the last two verses.

We walked among the crosses
where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle 
as TAPS began to play.

The chaplain led a prayer 
we stood with heads bowed low.
And I though of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They cam from every city
across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
my sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
but these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
for this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,

Thanks for what you've given
no one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
from now through evermore.

-C. W. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment